Happy July -- How are you? Chances are that it's really hot in your area. What changes have you made to keep your body happy during the summer heat?Today, I'm sharing some tips to keep our bodies happy this summer. Let's get started!
1. FOR THE BODY: ADD WATER –– Seems simple enough to add more water, but it's actually more complicated.
- Hydration means adding fluids that can be readily absorbed.
- Simple body hydration for most people is just to drink more water.
- Water-based drinks (exception is excessive caffeine + alcohol which act as diuretics) keep our organs functioning normally and prevent dangerous acute and/or chronic low-level dehydration.
- Drinking more in the heat is a given, but it should be spread throughout the day.
- Large volumes of fluids in short periods can land you in the hospital due to a dangerous electrolyte imbalance. It's more common than you think.
2. FOR THE SKIN: ADD OIL (+ WATER) –– Adding moisture is heavily touted as the most important thing that we can do for our skin.
- Transepidermal water loss (TEWL) is the loss of water thru our skin.
- Hot weather (plus too much time in the sun) encourages TEWL.
- If we add moisture to our skin (creams, lotions, watery serums, hydrating mists), the goal is to keep as much of it as possible from evaporating.
- Applying body oil right out of the shower to DAMP skin will help seal in moisture on our body.
- Applying facial oil (or any product with great barrier qualities) to DAMP skin just AFTER cleansing or the application of watery serums, mists, etc will help seal in moisture on our face.
Below I'm sharing a quick frozen treat that's great for staying hydrated this summer!
Wishing you a great rest of your weekend. Thank you for being here!
This information first appeared in our bi-weekly newsletter.
Every couple of weeks, our newsletter is delivered to your inbox and include wonderful DIY beauty and natural living recipes, occasional giveaways, peeks inside our production area, news from Rachel's Plan Bee and so much more.